Friday, August 17, 2007

Home Again

Wow! It's been almost five days since we returned to the states. Our flights home Friday night and Saturday were tiring but went well. Thanks to Judy's parents for picking us up at Kennedy airport!

We are still adjusting to the American culture and way of life. Our trip to Ecuador clearly helped us have a clear break from church and church responsibilities. We return to New Holland with a new perspective and renewed vision of church and mission.

Some of my routine spiritual disciplines of contemplation, prayer and scripture were interrupted at times on the trip. But I found myself acquiring new spiritual disciplines of hospitality and play. People and relationships are what matter! Loving, caring, encouraging, and playing and praying together is what matters. These new spiritual disciplines have the possibility of bringing great joy and contentment!

This past Sunday, Judy and I visited a church that offers several worship services. We attended traditional worship service together at 9:15 and then Judy attended a contemporary service while I attended a "Hope and Healing" service. We both came home inspired and motivated to implement some new ideas at New Holland.

Sunday evening, we went to a concert at Longs Park by a well known Irish band. On Tuesday, Judy and I left for Big Valley. On the way, our tire went flat along route 30 just west of Greenfield. We spent two lovely nights together in Big Valley - reflecting on our summer, our future, and just enjoying being alone together.

Thursday night, we picked up Renate - the IVEP person from Paraguay who will be living with us for the next year and working at the New Holland Early Learning Center. We can already tell that she will be a great blessing to our family, our church, and to the ELC.

This morning, I attended the Missional Cohort group I am part of at Lancaster Mennonite Conference. It gave me the opportunity to reflect deeply on God's call for us as a church to be missional and my role as pastor and leader. I came home encouraged and challenged.

Tomorrow, we will be attending my niece's wedding and will be spending lot's of time with extended family. And on Sunday morning, we can't wait to worship again with our church family at Refreshing Mountain Campground.

We deeply miss all of friends in Ecuador, but we feel renewed, refreshed, and excited about returning to God's call for us in New Holland! Judy returns to pastoring next week, and I return on September 3.

No comments: