Friday, August 31, 2007

Retreat with God at Greenwood Furnace State Park


Tuesday afternoon:
Lord, I give you this time and place for the purpose of knowing your heart, your plans and your purposes for my life and for the life of our church. I give you complete and unlimited access to my mind heart and soul.

Tuesday evening:
I struggled getting the fire started with wet wood. I did a lot of fanning to get the wet wood to burn. Lord, might this be what you are calling me to do – to fan the flame – in my life and in the church’s life?

How do I fan Lord? By blessing! Actively blessing! Don’t just wish them a blessing, but seek tangible ways to actually bless them. Begin by praying everyday – “Lord, make a blessing to someone today!” And then watch for opportunities. Watch how God uses you to bless. Bless Judy! Bless your children! Bless your church family! Bless your neighbors! Invite others to join you in praying this prayer. It will become contagious and spread throughout the community!

Wednesday morning:
There was only one other camper in the campground. On Wednesday morning, he invited me over for coffee or tea. “Lord, I came here to be with you not other people.” A few minutes later, we were sitting around his campfire. He was 62 years old and retired. He and his wife come here two weeks each year and it’s close enough for his wife to travel to work each day. I shared that I was a pastor and was here to spend time with God.

He asked if a skunk visited me last night. I told him it scared me to death. It was dark and I was sitting by the campfire when I suddenly saw a shadow move behind me. I turned and there was a skunk facing me less than five feet away. I jumped. It jumped. For a brief moment, I froze and watched it turn. I was terrified, sure I would be sprayed. But the skunk walked quickly away. I grabbed the flashlight, went to the car and shut all the windows. A few moments later, an owl started to howl. Suddenly, I saw another shadow beneath my feet. By instinct, my foot went flying into the air sending my flip-flop flying higher in the air and landing in the campfire. I quickly picked my flip-flop out of the fire, grabbed the flashlight and began looking for other creeping creatures of the dark. It’s amazing how spooked one can get when you are alone and your imagination starts to run wild.

After about an hour of sharing stories and laughing together, I returned to my campsite ready to listen to God.

Wednesday evening:
I was lying on my hammock behind my campsite down by the stream when I heard someone making noise at my campsite. It was my neighbor with two hot meatball sandwiches. What a blessing! Are you trying to teach me something Lord?

Thursday morning:
I woke up early and didn’t see anyone stirring at my friend’s campsite. I built a fire, cooked my breakfast and heated water for tea. An hour later, my friend dropped by and invited me over for tea. Since I had already had two cups of tea, I declined the invitation. “Be sure to stop by before you leave!” he said.

Thursday afternoon:
As I was washing the dishes and preparing to leave, I sliced two of my fingers deep enough to cause the blood to run off my hand onto the ground. I ran to the water pump and after washing them off, they were still bleeding. Who else to go to but my friend? He found some iodine and band aids. I felt like a little boy as he carefully treated the cuts and put the band aids on. “You have been like an angel to me this week”, I told him. “God gives us what we need,” He said.

God, I came here to listen to you. In words, you told me to fan the flames by blessing others. And then you showed me how to bless by example!

First, you showed me that blessing begins with bold invitations and giving one’s time. My friend blessed me by boldly inviting me over for tea and sharing his time with me.

Secondly, you showed me that blessing is sharing acts of kindness to one another. My friend blessed me by giving me two hot meatball sandwiches.

Thirdly, you showed be that blessing is helping someone in need. My friend blessed me by being there for me when I cut my fingers.

I was waiting for words of instruction Lord, but you gave me so much more. Thank you Lord! Thank you camper friend!

2 comments:

Janelle Zook said...

Daddy, I loved reading your camping experiences and the insights God taught you through these experiences - que bueno!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the MP3 e MP4, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mp3-mp4-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.