Monday, July 2, 2007

More DMIN Reflections

Below are a few more reflections on my DMIN classes.

During the firstweek, we focused on spiritual renewal movements and leaders of the 16’th to 19’th centuries. Since our class consisted of Presbyterians, a Catholic, an independent Baptist, an Assembly of God Pentecostal, myself as an Anabaptist, and an Advent/Lutheran professor, we had some quite lively and animated discussions. As an Anabaptist, much of the time I was in the minority and yet I felt respected for the most part. I felt most troubled with reformed Calvinist theology and most at home with Methodist theology. And even though there is much to Luther that I disagree with, I gained a new appreciation and understanding for Luther and his beliefs. I even kind of grew to like the guy in some ways.

I also gained a whole new perspective on how different our beliefs are as Anabaptists. Some of the core components such as salvation, grace, sanctification, interpretation of scripture, Jesus' call to discipleship, and roles of leadership and laity are quite unique and different. After being exposed in-depth to the rich differences in our theological streams, I gained a new appreciation for why people believe the way they believe. At the same time, I feel more rooted than ever in our own Anabaptist theological understandings. I wish I would be at New Holland the next four Sundays when Brinton Rutherford will be sharing on the theme of Anabaptist core values. Blessings to my church family!

1 comment:

hillschurch said...

Thanks for the reflections. Since I share most of your Anabaptist underpinnings I also felt stretched theologically - particularly with the Adventist theological distinctives. Although I had heard of those positions before, I had never met anyone who held them or could give such good biblical justification for them.

Have a great time in Ecuador!
Michael